[Jandek] Fwd: [Up-Tight] All Jandek, All the Time

matt love mattlove1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 17:40:11 PDT 2008

 Cross-posted from another list, some useful information, then some
aggrivating responses..Telstar to Up-Tight show details Oct 10 (2 days
ago)

Here's a couple of Jandek stories, preparing all for his appearance at The
Wexner Center in Columbus.

"To understand the complexity of this mysterious figure, you have to start
the story from the beginning. In 1978, an unknown record label in Houston,
known as Corwood Industries (which sounds suspiciously like some shady,
conspiracy-laden company from a movie that ends up developing zombies or
Terminators or something) began releasing the albums of the equally puzzling
artist known as Jandek."

http://uweekly.com/newsmag/10-08-2008/9361

"His small but loyal fan base is beyond geeked at the chance to see the
reclusive composer in the flesh, but most folks might wonder why his
upcoming performance here is so significant. After hearing his bizarre,
inaccessible music, they would probably be even more puzzled. To alleviate
some of the confusion, here's a quick primer on the mystery man from Houston
and his vast catalog of music."

http://tinyurl.com/48uc69

"Three decades ago, an album credited to the Units was released on the
obscure Corwood Industries label out of Houston. "Ready for the House"
sounded like the blues rattling around the head of a trauma survivor, a
lonely hellscape of Dadaist guitar strumming and otherworldly crooning from,
it appeared, the bottom of a well."

http://tinyurl.com/3jo5uk

Al

Jeff Curtis to Up-Tight show details Oct 10 (2 days ago)

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Telstar
<aclark23 at sympatico.ca<aclark23%40sympatico.ca>>
wrote:
> Here's a couple of Jandek stories, preparing all for his appearance at The
> Wexner Center in Columbus.

the other day a friend/bandmate sent around a mass email to a bunch of
other friends/bandmates asking, "Hey, who wants to drive to Columbus
to see Jandek?!?"

this was the first I'd heard about his appearance there.

my immediate reply:

"You couldn't *pay* me enough to go see Jandek!"

my friend's reply to me:

"I've never heard Jandek's music"

my reply back to him:

"ohh -- that explains it.."

I know he's got his dedicated cult followers, but man - I find his
stuff completely unlistenable. Not only is it poorly and weakly
performed and bad-sounding, it's also just completely and utterly
*boring*, which is really the part that makes it unlistenable to me.
Because, really, I'm usually all *about* bad-sounding music..

Anyway -

I'm quite pleased because I'm going to be going to see a rare Akron
appearance by DEVO one week from today - they're doing a big DEVOBAMA
rally/fundraiser down at the Akron Civic Theatre. I have a feeling
they're really going to tear the place down!

JC

Tyler Hewitt to Up-Tight show details 9:03 AM (9 hours ago)

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love bad sounding music, but I just
can't understand
Jandek's appeal. For me, his music is so boring that it is unpleasant to
listen to. It's more
boring than Pink Floyd, which come to think of it, is a big accomplishment!

The DEVOBAMA event sounds really fun.

--- In Up-Tight at yahoogroups.com <Up-Tight%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeff Curtis"
<jacurtis at ...> wrote:

> I know he's got his dedicated cult followers, but man - I find his
> stuff completely unlistenable. Not only is it poorly and weakly
> performed and bad-sounding, it's also just completely and utterly
> *boring*, which is really the part that makes it unlistenable to me.
> Because, really, I'm usually all *about* bad-sounding music..

Jeff Curtis to Up-Tight show details 9:25 AM (8 hours ago)

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Tyler Hewitt
<tahewitt at yahoo.com<tahewitt%40yahoo.com>>
wrote:
> I couldn't have said it better myself. I love bad sounding music, but I
just
> can't understand
> Jandek's appeal. For me, his music is so boring that it is unpleasant to
> listen to. It's more
> boring than Pink Floyd, which come to think of it, is a big
accomplishment!

yeah, see, boring and well-played/recorded is another matter completely!

> The DEVOBAMA event sounds really fun.

http://clubdevo.com/mp/news_pgs/devobama.html

I love the Obama "DUTY NOW FOR THE FUTURE" logo, complete with energy
dome perched on top of the ubiquitous O..

can't wait!

JC

--
Love me, love my vids