[Jandek] Jandek tabs

James Holloway jwholloway at mac.com
Sat May 24 05:32:08 PDT 2008

This may be overkill for you, but I'll put it out there..

A German company called Celemony has developed a software plugin
called Melodyne that's capable of doing polyphonic analysis of chords.
That means you can "process" a chord, or set of chords, through the
Melodyne plugin, and it will display the actual notes in those chords
-- and allows you to "correct" any that are off (eg, change a g# to G)
or make change the voicing, etc. Pretty neat, huh? This is a sort of
holy grail for musicians/recording people, and it's further proof of
the theorem that there's no problem so complicated that can't be
solved by a fat, bearded German.

The monophonic version of the Melodyne plugin is available, the
polyphonic will be out in Sept or Oct I think. I use it a lot, mainly
to transform vocals. You'll need to run it in a DAW like Pro Tools or
Logic.

I'm interested in doing this myself with some of the Rep's tunes as my
music project, The Django Horror, plans to do a Jandek cover on its
first album, Black Seas of Infinity... What I;ve been doing thus far
is getting the root of the chord and adding, or backing down,
dissonany notes until I get something that feels rigbht... That
strikes me as being sort of true to the Rep's spirit.

Good luck!