[Jandek] re: the units theory (26)

Ross Morris rossmorris1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 03:22:25 PDT 2008

I disagree about the full band material, primarily because if you listen to the lead singer's voice it can be clearly heard to age across the body of work and become deeper - for this reason I think the albums were more or less done chronilogically with a few exceptions (I'm too sleepy to pick out the albums which seem to have various "bits and pieces" on them, but I think the Rocks Crumble is one, and FYF may be another one, but I can't remember off hand now!  Sorry guys)

I do think the Units is a great punk/new wave style title inkeeping with the time period we're talking about.  I always thought The Units when referring to Jandek was more a sly way of saying that this was a singular person's vision.  The later albums added other people, but the vision was guided overall by one man.

Just my thoughts - to be honest there's no way we can know about the chronological issue, just my opinion on the matter from listening to Jandek for years.

Ross