[Jandek] Does anyone ever get the feeling?

Bob Lukomski lukomski at hotmail.com
Sat May 5 10:35:36 PDT 2007

It certainly depends on which records you are listening to.
There are other male vocalists on some of the records.
That being said, if you compare Ready for the House with any recent live
recording, despite changes in style and inflection, that same twangy,
slightly strangled timbre is there.  Hell, even when you hear someone
screaming "Don't Paint Your Teeth!" on Telegraph Melts, the same sonic
imprint is evident.

I am a trained professional vocalist (not that that gives me special
knowledge or reason to opine), and I know that over the past 20 years as an
"adult" my overall style of singing has changed dramatically, including
inflection and how I choose to contour a phrase, as well as how I use breath
support, etc.  This applies not only to my own work, but how I approach
church music, jazz singing, what have you.  It seems that the live Jandek
shows are cast in a different musical mold, both in terms of process and
form, than what the man was doing 20 years ago, and that can't help but
change the vocal approach as well.  Mark E. Smith of the Fall has a very
distinctive vocal inflection, but compare "Repetition" with say "Shake Off!"
and there's a world of difference.

I think you're picking up on some subtle nuances in the man's vocal growth,
and that is *really* cool.  It got me thinking about what he's doing vocally
again (was at the Manhattan show last month, but it left me very
fatigued)... I'm gonna have to go back and listen some more...

THANKS!

Bob

Bob Lukomski
Composer