[Jandek] The Bowery, Beacon Hill, Biography, Brooklyn Wednesday

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Mon Jul 16 18:07:26 PDT 2007

> ...I meant if his autobiography were straight up, an
> unartistic narrative of his life, as if it were a Wikipedia page.
> The purpose of the question was thus: if Jandek changed his
> philosophy and became a "public" figure, granting interviews and
> writing said book, would his fans accept it or consider him to be
> comitting an act of self-heresy?
Because of how he does business, I  don't think he can commit an act of self-heresy. Of course, that still makes the occasional rounds RE: the live appearances, but I (obviously) fully support those. But still, take a look at that: the live shows have continued the unique approach that the studio albums started. Yes, a new direction (and ever-shifting bands) but the central philosophical approach is still the same.
But really, he's earned the right to open for the Smashing Pumpkins if he likes and sign to a major label. He's got nothing to prove. So if he suddenly popped up on Oprah (hey, Cormac McCarthy did it!) and wrote a "straight" autobio, I'd say more power to him. It still wouldn't water down the fifty albums he's self-released.