[Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, Vol 55, Issue 36

Matt Love matt.mattlove1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 06:46:35 PST 2007

A couple of observations...

1.  When Janky [ARFCI], writes to a totally anonymous stranger, this
is of course highly personal and confidential. (this observation was
plagerized from a friend's private email to me).

2.  Your rights of ownership to your own intellectual property is
wholly dependent on your own ability to protect it.  This generally
means how much money and political clout you have.  If you've ever
sent somebody a private e-mail and had them post it to public list,
you probably know what I'm talking about. Even if in addition to it
being your intellectual property, it's highly embarrassing to you, try
to collect damages. Go ahead.

3.  Intellectual property laws in this country are completely
wrong-headed at this point in history.  While they were originally
intended to encourage an accumulation of knowledge and resources in
the public domain (encouraging creators to create by insuring they
made a reasonable amount of money on their work before it becomes
public property), because of the influence of corporations (Disney,
primarily) the laws now discourage innovation by allowing ideas (and
anything that resembles those ideas) to stay in the hands of
corporations virtually forever.  I say corporations, because they are
the entities that are able to enforce their ownership rights over
intellectual property, not you.

Because the laws are so messed up, and discourage the natural flow of
intellectual transmission and innovation through adaptation and
modification, as has been practiced by the human race since cave days,
I would argue people have a moral right and responsibility to violate
copyright laws early and often.

To mangle (and perhaps misunderstand) Bob Dylan, to be honest, you
must live outside the law.  Bob is a flagrant and serial theft of
intellectual property.

"When you live outside the law, you have to eliminate dishonesty." The
line comes from Don Siegel's 1958 film noir, The Lineup, written by
Stirling Silliphant. The film still haunts revival houses, likely
thanks to Eli Wallach's blazing portrayal of a sociopathic hit man and
to Siegel's long, sturdy auteurist career. Yet what were those words
worth—to Siegel, or Silliphant, or their audience—in 1958? And again:
what was the line worth when Bob Dylan heard it (presumably in some
Greenwich Village repertory cinema), cleaned it up a little, and
inserted it into "Absolutely Sweet Marie"? What are they worth now, to
the culture at large?

The above paragraph was stolen from "The Ecstasy of Influence: A
plagiarism" By Jonathan Lethem, posted online at
http://www.harpers.org/TheEcstasyOfInfluence.html. This content  was
(along with most of the rest of the article) stolen from other
sources. As Negativland says, "Copyright violation: your best
entertainment value."

  If you disagree, you must be for the deletion of all Jandek cover
songs or tributes using samples;  removal from the archives of this
list all citation of Jandek lyrics from live performance - perhaps the
obliteration of Seth's website (perhaps explicit permission has been
granted to publish each lyrics and album cover, but I doubt it). In
fact, it's not just a good idea, it's the law, so c'mon people now,
smile on your brother, stop copyright violation... right now.