[Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, new thread

BlackMonk BlackMonk at email.msn.com
Mon Dec 10 17:07:30 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Mellor" <miquelotjr at yahoo.co.uk>
To: <jandek at mylist.net>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 10:00 AM
Subject: [Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, new thread

> Hey there,
>
>  Any Jewish Jandek fans out there? Unless I'm very much mistaken (as a goy
> this is quite possible), 1978 was the year 5739. Ready for the House is,
> of course, CORWOOD 0739.

Well, the end of 1978 was 5739. What month was Ready for the House released
in?

>  Can anyone corroborate this? It did once cross my mind that 0739 might
> refer to the start of WWII, but the invasion of Poland would be 0939, so
> maybe not.
>
>  I doubt Jandek is Jewish - although his spiritual progression reminds me
> of Leonard Cohen inasmuch as he's had an Old Testament Christian phase, an
> NT phase, and a Buddhist phase)

Do you mean Jandek has had those phases? I don't think Cohen has had a
Christian phase in his belief or practice, though he has used Christian
imagery in his writing. I think he explored Scientology for a while, though.

Actually, I think Cohen has always had Judaism in the background and he
explored other religions as complementary beliefs. Perhaps Dylan would be a
better comparison.

Now that you mention it, I think I've seen mention made of references to
every major religion EXCEPT Judaism in Jandek's work. It's not something
I've sat down and thought about, so I could be wrong, though.