[Jandek] Catching up; what is actually released?

Danen Jobe danen1970 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 12:52:31 PDT 2007

It's odd to think of 2007 as a "slow" release year for Corwood, considering
that most modern acts put out ONE album every TWO years and he's already had
a single studio, a double live and a QUADRUPLE live box set (that would
indeed be 0789, Brooklyn Wed). I suppose it's that, for the first time, we
know he has quite a backlog of live performances and many of us already know
what to expect. So where - prior to the live recordings - we might consider
this an "above average" year for releases, the knowledge that there are so
many waiting in the wings makes it seem like very little has come out.
Imagine the cost of this, though. Looking at my Brooklyn box set, I'm
staggered at how lovely it is. It stands out immediatly when placed next to
the other CDs, the gigantic lettering on the back drawing you to it right
off. It's a stunning feat that we have so much already, and yet I admit I'm
getting anxious about hearing the missing "great lineup" reunion at the 2005
Install, or the solo acoustic Saint Giles in the Field show, much less more
recent shows I've missed like Boston and Montreal (and Ft Worth and
Richmond...). And what we DON'T know, of course, is how many studio sessions
are laying about, perhaps being put on the backburner to try and get more
concerts released? I still contend that "What Else Does the Time Mean,"
especially, is a terrific album (and I'll stand in defense of "The Ruins of
Adventure," though I wouldn't recommend it to newcomers). Are there other
fascinating albums like these sitting around that NOBODY but the man himself
and perhaps an engineer even know about?

But that's a long answer to a short question. Yes, 0789 is the newest. I
actually WILL have some commentary on it soon. I recently relocated to
Colorado so I've not had time to get my thoughts down. I will say this:
listen to it (if you have time) combined with "Manhattan Tuesday." The three
sets all seem to play off each other, yet have an individual sound. I can
hear many different years of New York music mixed together, and I like the
interesting mix it all makes together.