[Jandek] Jandek vs. Jandek in Toronto

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Mon Sep 18 06:27:34 PDT 2006

Want to add to Seth's comments that it was a sister-show of sorts to "the Cell" (didn't see Brooklyn), but wanted to point out that the band were amazing. The integration between musicians was the most jazz-like of any show I've seen, and at times the passages built to a sort of catharsis.

I took the "him" in this to be about a lot of things - one possibility being perhaps a father or brother? Someone close who passes away. There's definitly other lines that seemed to be about God, (though often in a funny way - "he got so high he forgot the solar system" - something like that). Overall I was VERY impressed. There was a mirror to the right of the stage and from where I was sitting you could see him reflected in it. At times he was singing to himself. Again, the communication with the band was effortless.

I get the feeling Chicago's going to be a rock-out, as well. But I thought this was terrific. Five camera's, and more sound control than Corwood's ever had. Thank Gary Topp for it - he paid for it all. I understand that ALL five camera angles will be used individually as "that's what we normally do." Can also say that the Newcastle Sunday DVD will be out "in a few weeks." Wonderful time, wonderful show, wonderful group of people here. And yes, I met the Corwood Rep (after all this time!) and yes he's a great guy. There's nothing else to say, really. Wish this were coming out soon.

My first reading tonight - we'll see how it goes! Had the joy of being searched at customs yesterday, but here I am. I'll try to add more later, but the time is running out on my public computer.