[Jandek] jandek story clarification

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:40:36 PDT 2006

As with the documentary, Jandek
> gave his encouragement to Jobe's work, but from a distance, with
> sparsely worded emails that carefully avoid any semblance of
> endorsement.

Had to respond to this as it's a bit of a misquote - I've never received an email from Jandek. LETTERS, yes, but not emails. Also the letters were not always "sparsely worded" (though sometimes to the point) but often quite eloquent and he most certainly endorses both the film and the book - not as "official" Corwood product (that's only for Jandek CD's and DVD's) - but his words were quite encouraging, and I think that was also the case with the filmmakers. There was no "carefully avoided endorsement." He approved it, helped me set up two readings and was quite encouraging. He's a very generous man and I'm simply responding that I didn't say this and that I don't want anyone to think that I've even implied he wasn't.  I'm probably over-reacting, but I did want to clarify those points. Mostly, it's a good article and I appreciate Greg Quill for writing it. There's also a nice article in Toronto NOW magazine. Here's the link:

> > http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2006-09-14/music_tonotes.php

Hope to see many of you this Sunday!

Danen