[Jandek] Jandek Fictional Biography Forthcoming; Author to Read/Sign in Toronto & Chicago

Lee Rosevere leerosevere at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 05:37:38 PDT 2006

Not that you asked for my input, but...

I have to be honest, Danen.  The idea seems strange to
me too, writing a completely fictional account of a
real persona (or person).  But I'm not going to be so
rude as to tell you you wasted your time.  You
obviously had the idea and wanted to do it, and far be
it from me to deny your creativity.

What is puzzling and raises questions for me is that
Corwood gave you permission to do it.

And if Corwood says this is ok, it means to me that
'they' are perfectly fine with the notion that your
book could possibly taken as a true biography.  In
other words, by not saying it directly, they are
encouraging you to add to the myth around Jandek.

Personally, I'm not interested to read your book
because I have my own ideas about the recordings and
Jandek and it ain't long enough to write a book about:
Sterling Smith is just a guy who records music in his
basement with his friends for fun, and releases it
under the name Jandek.  That's it.  I find the music
interesting, not the "story".

And that's because Mr. Sterling Smith hasn't really
given me a persona to get interested in.

~L