[Jandek] Six and Six

Al Heldermon bassui at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 18:03:07 PST 2006

  Feathered Drums (1/1)
Thanks for all the thoughts
Came rolling in on feathered drums
I’ve been in jail before
Been let out too
Oh I am sure of where I am
Clouds came floating by
Have to hide something away
It’s what I’ve done
Print (?) you this, what comes I feel                        (Free to
this - What comes I feel)
Oh universe, oh beyond everything to never end
Oh back, oh wheel and tumble                                (Oh back,
oh real and tumble)
Morning sights and streets of wheat
Oh fanciful and teeming waves                               (Oh
fanciful and teeming ways)
Oh universe and all the days

  Point Judith (1/2)
Crestfallen and broken breast                            (Crestfallen
and broken breast I feel a full shadow)
I feel a full shadow                                             (--)
I see a spur digging
Snails on the rocks and it’s low tide and
There’s diamonds in the ocean
But if there’s a moth winging out over the waves
In the sunlight there’s
(In the sunlight, then...)
Two spiders meet on a rock but                              (Two
spiders meet on a rock, but...)
They’re the same anyhow so...                                 (They're
the same anyhow, so...)
It’s all so still here I...
   (It's all so still here, I...)
Little waves spill over little rocks
You can peel off mica from the rocks
As it shines like smooth silver
But you know there’s more than this
’Cause you can see the boats sailing
And the gulls fly by fishing
And there’s a lighthouse in the distance, but...
It’s all so quiet that..
Why disturb the silence so                                  (Why
disturb the silence so?)
Go away in the moonlight and                           (Go wade in the
moonlight and bring back a starfish)
Bring back a starfish                                           (--)
Settle back easy
(Settle back easy and)
Make up your mind to stay
I’ve earned a fortune and
There’s not much more to say
I’m livin’ easy
As smooth as silk these days                               (Smooth as
silk these days)
I see that you’re fearful
Haven’t changed your ways
Settle back easy and
Make up your mind to stay
[bangs microphone]
The country’s cleaner and
I’ve earned a fortune and
You don’t have to pay
Just settle back easy and
Make up your mind to stay

  I Knew You Would Leave (1/3)
The rocks crumble
Unto dust they die
Once hard stuff of mountains
Now soft powder among the sand
Who dares crush a rock                                      (Who dares
crush a rock?)
Oh rock, no rock
Reduced to the winds
Scatter your parts
You are not one but many
To those shall you succumb
Beast of time, you hurl your heavens sporadic
Falling in the great parade
March unto your death
And into what arms will you go  (?)                     (And into what
arms will you go?)
Surely not your own
Oh God, oh God, be you my hope                         (Oh God of Gods,
be you my hope)
And all else ruffles in the winds                            (And all
else ruffles in the wind)
Magic carpets fly to your planets
You have no place on earth
Who is it creates sand soliloquy                             (Who is it
creates sand soliloquy?)
Is it everyone  (?)
(Is it everyone?)
Nay, you are a heathen
Erupting words of pretense
Oh Lord let my hand be guided
Sometimes I know it not
As the air, no air is still
And the weary sounds refrain                               (And the
weary sound's refrain)
Now the hyena cackles
His clutch has found my heart bleeding
And now you are gone
Where you hear it all
(Were you here at all?)
Wide awake from a long sleep                               (Do I awake
from a long sleep?)
Myself on my hands
Tomorrow in the gallows
Trees in skies
Empty alliterations replenished
By the hand of one who would fall down
And make a light to shine somewhere
What is this   (?)
(What is this?)
The cavalcade of misery
What depths
How could we think of distances                        (How could we
think of distances?)
Ah, it is the gift of man                                        (Ah!
It is the gift of man to live the days long)
To live, the days long                                           (--)
The nights longer
Journey to the stars
They worship the sun
Come down treasures
And I like to see a smile  (?)                                (That I
might see you uh-smile)
On your lips as we meet
On a journey to the stars

  Can I See Your Clock (1/4)
Now this one from the morning came to me    (Now this one from this
mornin' came to me)
The piper in his high cloud sang to me
Listen, oh my brother, it’s time to rise
Thunder in the heavens of the sky
Free free, what I do is me                                    (Free,
free - What I do is me, me)
What you do is you, what you do is you
Have I, I have not (?)
(Never, hah, hah, I have not)
It’s playin’ on a phonograph
Now listen gently to the call
Riding on the waves that fall                               (Ridin' on
the waves that fall)
And rise to reach the sun and you                      (And rise to
reach the sun, and you)
You’re living in a moon so blue

  Wild Strawberries (2/1)
Beachcombers in dozens
On raging walls (?)                                               (Of
raging walls)
Sun, salt, and sea
Walkin’ down the halls
I’m wondering where                                           (I'm
wondering where's)
The murdering town                                            (The
murdering town?)
I’m beating a hundred                                         (I'm
beatin' a hundred)
 From way down below
There’s a place you could call me                      (Found a place
you could call me)
Out in Ohio
You’re down in the numbers
You’re listed forty-five
You heard and you answered
“I’m not dead, I’m alive”
You’ll walk on a tightrope
Wear the suit of a clown
You rear back in anger
Don’t forget there’s no answer
Watch your feet and where they’re goin’
Don’t forget you’re a dancer

  Forgive Me (2/2)
You know evil, know it well
The tree gave up its fruit at once Ah! My hand it burns
Scarred with these prints
They will live when I die, that is a fact              (They will leave
when I die, that is a fact)
The blood will drain
Infection will mix with the blue corpse             (Infection will mix
with a blue corpse)
But you have it here
You see how it is like the wind
At your back and at your face
Leaves drop or aching branches creak
You walk alone down boulevards
I take you to the sky    (?)                                    (That
take you to the skies)
Take you to the sky [3x]                                      (Take you
to the skies [3x] )

  Hilltop Serenade Part 2 (2/4)                     (Hilltop Serenade
(2/3) )
Well your brain is weary and your manner rough  (Well your brain is
weary and your manner's rough)
Well OK but that’s enough
Crazy lights, crazy fights
Cotton’s on the way hey
Walk along sing a song and pray
Mr. Genry on the label                                           (Mr.
Ginry - On the label)
Paint a picture of a fable
On a label a fable Mr. Genry                                  (On the
label, a fable - Mr. Ginry)
(repeat)

  You’re The Best One (2/5)                                       (2/4)
You’re the best one that I came to see
You’re the last one that I want to see
(You're the last one that I'd want to see)
You’re one in a million, Lord I think I forgot to come   (...to come)
You’re the top of the mountain, the rest is on the way down
You know I think I could tell you
(You know I think I ought to tell you)
I think you ought to know
There was somebody new before you
With you I learned to know them all
And all that came before them
And all that go here from now
You go with them gently
With love on your mind

  Delinquent Words (2/6)                                           (2/5)
I always had a bloody lip, always
Those Cadillacs just float over the road                         (Those
Cadillacs just float over the roads)
They don’t even know the road is there
How is it they know me well in the wine store               (How is it
they know me well in the wine store?)
There is no question of it
It’s the blank eyed and boxed face that don’t understand
(...blank-eyed and box-faced...)
Age makes no difference
Shape makes no difference
I observe that all collects dust here as everywhere
The most whited things fade and emerge to no color   (The most whited
things fade and merge to no color)
Dust enters into all being
And man who came from dust, to dust shall he return

six and six is . . . time
six and six is . . . change
six and six is . . . searching
for a love supreme

Thanks, Seth (& Brad Emrich) for all your help.  I'm sure it's
appreciated by many.

Al Heldermon