[Jandek] Review

Darin Mitchell susseddm at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 16:41:03 PST 2006

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/musicreviews/j/jandek.htm

Khartoum
Corwood Industries, 2005
rating: 3.5/5
reviewer: p funk

Khartoum makes me almost positive of one thing: Jandek's probably seen
Jandek on Corwood, the 2004 documentary in which critics, record store
clerks, and other personalities postulate about his personal life and wax
exultant about his music. There's a self-ironizing awareness here of the
expectations, suspicions, and fantasies that listeners bring to the table
when they sit down with a Jandek album, and just as Stephen Daedelus'
developed capacity to distance himself from his own persona and laugh at the
fiction of self-mythologizing prods us to sympathize with him in the final
pages of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Jandek's newfound ability
to accept and play off of his role as a public figure makes Khartoum a
profoundly amiable effort.

Amiable's a relative term, of course – Jandek still plays the blues, and he
still plays them atonal as fuck, each guitar note grinding against notions
of scale and harmony like the bones in an aged cottonpicker's arthritic
knees. Sonically, Khartoum acts as a perverse form of soul music, using
sinister intonations to communicate visceral emotion. Both acoustic guitar
and voice (the only two instruments that confront us this outing) barge into
the frame with drunken bluster, slurring notes and syllables to the point
that we can't take anything straight. When Jandek blurts, "Be Careful/ I'm
the vulnerable kind/ I like to hurt myself" with a laconic drawl in "New
Dimension," he seems acutely aware of the lines as over-the-top
oversimplifications of the sort of Romantic/masochistic/withdrawn axis on
which listeners often place his music. Khartoum certainly deals in a poetics
of pain, but it's a different pain than we're used to hearing from Jandek;
he now seems to be wincing at the communicative process rather than the
feelings he's communicating.

As with any Jandek release, Khartoum might ultimately be more fun to think
about than it is to listen to. In fact, the album seems to encourage this
sort of response, as its attempts at gut-level communion are constantly
diffused by an ironic, conflicted tone, creating the sense that all of this
howling at the moon is actually a fruitless exchange. In another light, it's
actually a bit refreshing that all of this raw emoting doesn't burden itself
with any direct Message, and this assault on intentionality certainly adds
an interesting wrinkle to Jandek's oeuvre. For the cynics who reduce
Jandek's art to schtick and view his catalogue as a series of lazy
recyclings, this record is the show-'em-some that's been two decades in the
making, a point where Jandek acknowledges the ridiculousness of his own
myth, but still clings to his Jandek-ness as he does so.

1. You Wanted to Leave
2. Fragmentation
3. I Shot Myself
4. New Dimension