[Jandek] Re: Irwin Chusid

Jamie Morrison jamski at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 16:51:38 PST 2006

Jeff:
> What is it about this music that he just can't ignore? And the more he writes about how much he hates it, the more I'm thinking, I have frigging got to hear this!<

Very well put, and absolutely right on the money as far as I'm concerned. Part of the charm (perhaps the wrong word, hehe) of Jandek's music is its ability to completely polarise its listeners -you're either going to love it, or at least be thoroughly intrigued by it, or you're going to be turned off on first listen, probably for good. I think Irwin Chusid's position is interesting more than anything else - in that I also believe whoever said Chusid disliked the music but admired Jandek's approach and persona was also right on the money. Not only does the music itself put you in a for-against position right away, but you are able to look at the records and the myth as two separate, complementary works of art; both are equally viable for scrutiny and criticism. Therein lies the genius of Jandek, in my humble opinion.

Jamie