[Jandek] Insulting and sophomoric

The Enchanter Tim doesabearwoof at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 26 08:17:12 PST 2006

Hmmm...but it's NOT insulting and sophomoric to react as though the mere
insinuation/interpretation of a song/title were the most insulting thing in
the world?  (Given Jandek's fondness for the blues, one should point out the
song 'Back Door Man' ;) )

I'm reminded when I was 17 or so and Tom Selleck reacted with utter HORROR
at the thought he might be gay.  Even though I had no idea of my sexual
orientation then (well, not much), I remember thinking: 'That is a really
DERANGED reaction, and says more than the insinuation does.'  In fact, I
remember discussing that with friends of mine, and we all concluded the only
reasonable response to such an allegation (if one weren't an utter 'phobe),
would be along the lines of Joan Jett's clearest public statement: 'I'd be
glad to be thought of as a lesbian' (with obvious modifications for gender,
etc.)

I doubt that Jandek/S.S. is gay, but that's not the point.

Tim, whose boyfriend was in Houston a while ago (turns out it was when
Jandek would have been in Indiana, so I let him off the hook for not
haunting the post office or calling Corwood Industries or looking for a tall
skeletal redhead... :) ), and who heard JAILHOUSE ROCK today on the radio
(did Elvis EVER think about the implications of those lyrics? It's a pretty
gay song to me...)

"...men may become hairy as bears, if such is their fancy, without fear of
excommunication or deprivation of their political rights." Charles Mackay

Not only does WindowsOff to school, going on a trip, or moving? Windows Live
(MSN) Messenger lets you stay in touch with friends and family wherever you
go. Click here to find out how to sign up!  Live™ OneCare™ provide
all-in-one PC care to keep your computer protected and well-maintained, but
it also makes creating backup files a breeze. Try it today!
http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/