[Jandek] Re: Jandek the Concept

Lauren Ciechanowski ciechano at stolaf.edu
Mon Aug 14 14:13:35 PDT 2006

> On 8/11/06, hirakemike2 at aol.com <hirakemike2 at aol.com> wrote:
>> I sent a letter to Corwood years ago, asking if Nancy would ever
>> return, and the reply was: "That would be very difficult".
>
> Speaks volumes.

Um. Not really, if you're insinuating she might be dead or otherwise gone.
I can think of oodles of people I don't speak to anymore that are still
alive and well. I agree with the poster - can't remember whom - who
suggested that the other musicians had little knowledge that they were
participating in a recording session. At the very least, I would imagine
they were not aware the tapes would eventually be released under the
moniker 'Jandek.'

And there's nothing wrong with that, is there? We've been given a glimpse
of a group of friends, or at least acquaintances, who were having some fun
and goofing off together with some instruments. There doesn't *have* to be
a conspiracy about who these people are - honestly, that's one of the best
parts of this all to me. These 'band' recordings are truly artifacts of
something that literally amounted to nothing. Does that make sense? These
are garage sale sweatshirts - for a brief time, they had meaning to their
owners, and all we can do is speculate. Ultimately, though, the owner of
the sweatshirt didn't really give a crap where it came from or what it
meant that he was wearing as long as it kept him warm and didn't make him
look too stupid. Does he care where it is now? After thirtysome years, I
can only imagine that any participants' voices or guitar work would be
unrecognizable today.

I like knowing that Nancy et al. are just folks that have come and gone in
his life, just funny intersections in otherwise parallel lives - like any
number of folks I've worked with, camp roommates, or classmates. All I
have now are the artifacts.

Lauren