[Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, Vol 54, Issue 159

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Thu Aug 3 10:59:04 PDT 2006

Two reasons it wasn't in the documentary:

1. The makers respect Corwood's wish for privacy, and this would violate that, even as speculation. They had a good deal from Corwood and part of that was respecting that his private life be left alone. Note that nobody's ever come forward and said, "hey, I was on a Jandek album, let me tell you about it." It's about respect.

2. Look at the yahoo posting in particular: rule of thumb on urban legends is never trust anyone who says "this comes from a close friend, not a friend of a friend thing." In fact, that posting looks suspiciously (to me) as if somebody read the EARLIER posting and then rewrote it into a "hey, look at me" post. "It's well informed." So's the Weekly World News. I wouldn't trust that "now you know" by any means.

The other (the list posting) carries more of a feel of truth. I remember that email and that we hashed out at the time, and as I remember the person involved never said it meant Jandek "grew up" there, or that it meant anything really; it was just speculation.

Mostly, if Corwood says he hasn't been to Providence, I'd say that it isn't a game he's playing trying to get people to say "aha! that's where he's from" but rather him saying "don't go there." In no way would I credit those postings as saying he's 'from' there. Mostly, btw, because neither one is from the PERSON in Providence proported to be "Nancy," or even the friend of Nancy. The most suspicious thing is that both are from second (and even third) hand sources.

Sorry if I sound like I'm flaming - I'm not. I just don't think this is enough info to say "now you know."

Danen