[Jandek] has anybody analyzed the lyrics in a scholarly manner?

Julia M. Fernandez julesmontrose at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 15:13:53 PDT 2006

Personally, I have always theorized that Jandek is
epileptic.  That may seem like a stretch, but I have
the disorder and feel like I can often sniff others
out.  A lot of people think that it just involves
convulsions, but more frequently it's hallucinations,
black-outs, lapses in conciousness and, often,
depression or unusual behavior (even though it is not
considered a psychiatric disorder).  Sound like
Jandek?

Also, since it's hard to think "normally" with so much
neural misfiring, the list of famous epileptics is a
who's-who of out-of-the-box thinkers: Da Vinci,
Pascal, Edgar Allen Poe, (even Joan of Arc!).
Outsider music is definitely something that an
epileptic might gravitate toward.

But, Jandek also reminded me quite a bit of Ian Curtis
when I saw him last week, so perhaps that was clouding
my judgment...

Julia