[Jandek] Jandek Survey

acg3dinst at aol.com acg3dinst at aol.com
Wed Apr 26 12:05:34 PDT 2006

Are you male or female?

MALE

How old are you?
43

What part of the world do you come from?

Huntington Beach, CA

How did you get into Jandek? What is your ‘story’?

First heard him on Irwin Chusid's "Attrocious Music" show on WFMU-FM (91.1 FM New Jersey) in the mid 80's.  Subsequently bought a couple of LP's.  I listen to a lot of wierd music, but Jandek is truly bizzare and unique, so it immediately caught my attention.  Eventually I kind of forgot about Jandek until the documentary came out.

How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider
yourself a Jandek fan?

Yes, I am a fan, but not in the way I am a fan of other artists.  I don't know that "like" is a word that describes the appeal that Jandek has for me.  I am intrigued by the wierdness and uniqueness.  I respect the man for his single-minded perseverence in following his muse.  I just flat-out have to laugh at the sheer musical ineptitude (but not in a condescending way!)

Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you
post? Do you use the digest format?

This is my first posting.

What do your friends and family think about Jandek?   TURN IT OFF!!!!   PLEASE!!!!!  DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!

What do they think about you listening to Jandek?  No surprise!  Roll their eyeballs and sigh!

To what extent does the ‘myth of Jandek’ – the mystery
surrounding his identity – appeal to you?   The myth is a big part of the appeal.  The concept of this wierd guy making this other-worldly noise in complete isolation and anonymity was very interesting.  In a sense I was disappointed when I heard that he was going public with live gigs, since it kind of ruined the mystery to some extent.  I would, of course, jump at the chance to see him live, however.

Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or
Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an
order? What happened?

Yes, in the 80's I tried to order some albums, but I think I messed up the address, or else it was wrong on one of the albums, so I got no answer.

What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

 In the 80's I was the only person I knew who owned a Jandek album, or would even consider owning one!  A few years ago I found Tissue's website and found tons of other people with a similar interest.  When I went to a showing of the documentary in LA I was very interested in talking to other people, and was amused that most were in their 20's.

Why do you like Jandek?  See question on why I'm a fan.  I'm not sure "like" is the right word.

How often do you listen to Jandek?  rarely, quite frankly.  I only own a couple of LP's, and I rarely listen to my LP's anymore.

What other music do you listen to?   Favorite artist is Frank Zappa.  Listen to a lot of jazz (Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, Andrew Hill), lately into 70's krautrock (Can, Faust), Henry Cow, exploring more experimental music.

Recently purchased this:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JM7S/sr=8-1/qid=1146078227/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3325322-5032702?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like
to tell me?

no, that's all.  Thanks!

Andreas