[Jandek] Jandek: Jandek Survey

mark at mayfairrecordings.com mark at mayfairrecordings.com
Mon Apr 24 09:27:34 PDT 2006

***Are you male or female?

male

***How old are you?

37

***What part of the world do you come from?

Chicago, USA

***How did you get into Jandek? What is your 'story'?

My bandmate Barry knew of Jandek and we would see the records in stores
when we were on tour in the late 80's - early 90's. Also friendly with
Irwin Chusid who filled us all in on some of the history and stories, etc.

***How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider yourself a Jandek
fan?

Like any music or art I look for honesty and expression and Jandek seems
to create from those places. There is also a spooky quality to a lot of
the recordings that I find amazing as well as his fantastic lyrics. I
think he is an artist that you can not just have a few of his records...
it would be like reading a few pages of a great book.... you must have his
whole body of work. The weight of it all is a big part of the Jandek
experience to me.

***Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you post? Do you use
the digest format?

I joined maybe two years ago.... I mostly enjoy musical debate and
insight. The uber-fan detective work stuff kind of bums me out as well as
the putting Jandek on a pedestal. I think he is an important working
artist who deserves proper investigation and respect.

***What do your friends and family think about Jandek?

Many people are put off by the 'un-listenable' qualities up front but
those that seem to stick with it and try appreciate it on a less surface-y
level enjoy it.

***What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

I admit I do not turn to Jandek in most cases of my music listening. But
the times I do it has a very mood altering effect on me.

***To what extent does the 'myth of Jandek'? the mystery surrounding his
identity? appeal to you?

I like the mystery. I like the myth. I think both are interesting to a
point. Luckily his music out shadows those aspects. If not it would be a
pretty hollow experience.

***Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or Sterling Smith
for reasons other than placing an order?

Yes, I tried to get him to be involved with the first Chicago screening of
the movie. He left me a very nice yet odd voice mail.

***What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

Most here seem serious about his music and keep it on a creative level.
Some are silly and ironic and those I think are a drag.

***Why do you like Jandek?

He makes heartbreaking music... music that feels like it comes from a very
honest, human place. That is all I ask of music. I liken him to Billie
Holiday and Neil Young and Nick Drake.

***How often do you listen to Jandek?

Not much.... but when I do it is for a week at a time.

***What other music do you listen to?

Beatles, Neil Young, Nick Drake, AC/DC, Nicoli Dunger, Smog, Morton
Feldman, Devo, Led Zeppelin, Scott Walker, Slint, Raymond Scott, Marvin
Gaye, etc etc.

***Is there anything I have not asked that you would like to tell me?

Not that I can think of at the moment.

-Mark Greenberg