[Jandek] Jandek Survey

Jonathan Smallwood jonointhedistance at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 23 09:59:15 PDT 2006

Are you male or female?

Male

How old are you?

17

What part of the world do you come from?

Liverpool, UK

How did you get into Jandek? What is your 'story'?

I heard Low’s cover of Carnival Queen and was fascinated by how haunting
it sounded. So, I popped down to my favorite record store and asked for some
advice from Pavement guy.

How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider yourself a Jandek
fan?

I suppose so. I think there is something really captivating about Jandek
that leaves you desperate for more, so I don’t imagine there are many
people are there who like him “just a bit”.

Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you post? Do you use
the digest format?

I was looking for interesting debate about music and more information about
Jandek, thankfully that is exactly what I’ve found. I’ve only recently
joined the list, so this is my first post (Who knows, maybe my last).

What do your friends and family think about Jandek?

A lot of people seem to be interested by his “story”. As for the music;
the phrase pretentious bollocks comes up a lot, much to my dismay.

What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

Someone suggested that I was purposefully trying to make myself depressed.

To what extent does the 'myth of Jandek'? the mystery surrounding his
identity? appeal to you?

I like it, it’s refreshing in a world of clichéd rock stars. However, his
apparent desire for privacy does make me feel a little guilty for being so
fascinated with him.

Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or Sterling Smith
for reasons other than placing an order?

No.

What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

The only one I’ve met is Pavement guy, who seemed very enthusiastic about
him. I think fans of Jandek are willing to look at music in a less than
traditional way.

Why do you like Jandek?

His lyrics are beautiful and his voice breaks my heart.

How often do you listen to Jandek?

More and more regularly of late, although I find I have to be in the right
mood. Probably a couple of times a week.

What other music do you listen to?

Everything I can get my hands on, indie, rock, metal, noise, jazz,
krautrock, etc.

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like to tell me?

I think Jandek is unique, his music is so personal as if it is for himself
and himself alone. He has no expectations to conform to so is completely
free as an artist. His music is like looking into someone else’s sole.

It sounds pretentious but it’s the only way I can describe how I feel
about this music.

Cheers,
Rob x