[Jandek] TMT Reviews

Darin Mitchell susseddm at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:02:45 PDT 2005

Glasgow Sunday
Corwood Industries, 2005
rating: 4/5
reviewer: s. kobak

And so the mystery man emerged from the black hole of isolation and played
an eclectic set of fresh originals at the Instal Festival in Glasgow,
Scotland on Sunday, October 17, 2004. Richard Youngs and Alexander Neilsen
joined him on bass and drums respectively. Bootlegs and rumors spread
rapidly throughout the internet. Being the provocateur that he is, Jandek
decided to book more gigs in 2005 and has released an official live document
of the Instal '04 set.

Glasgow Sunday may be the official document of this event, but it does
nothing to dispel the conspiracy theories abound. The same artwork aesthetic
that is present on his other releases is present here. No liner notes are
included (surprise!) and the players on the album are not listed. I'm not
even going to waste your time by analyzing the cover. I'll let Byron Colely
do that.

The album begins with a few ground-shaking low bass notes and collapses into
an orgy of skronk. Jandek and his band draw from the electric guitar-driven
songs from the Rocks Crumble era, an era that I've always believed was more
indebted to No Wave than folk-blues. He seems genuinely reinvigorated by the
band, as his despondent warble has not sounded this desperate since the
mid-'90s. Youngs' black void of bass notes and the accentual drumming of
Neilson give Jandek space to work his black magic.

The thing that always amazed me about Jandek is how oppressive his music is.
It is like a glimpse into a twisted, damaged soul. His
stream-of-consciousness lyrics dwindle in the mind of the listener like a
picture of a dead loved one. He also records with a small group of masked
men, didn't reveal his face to a mass audience until 25 years after his
first record, and writes more songs in the second person than Morrissey.
Somehow in front of an audience, the dynamics have changed. All of Jandek's
pain, longing, and despair is secondary. His
playing-in-front-of-a-wall-in-a-rundown-hotel-room imagery is shattered and,
instead, fans are embracing his music in a live setting. This could be the
beginning of a new chapter.

1. Not Even Water
2. Where I Stay
3. Darkness You Give
4. Sea of Red
5. Real Wild
6. Don't Want to Be
7. Blue Blue World
8. The Other Side

Shadow of Leaves
Corwood Industries, 2004
rating: 3.5/5
reviewer: amneziak

Jandek is certainly one of the most interesting characters in music. For
those who are familiar with him, this review and tidbit of information will
be nothing new. For those who don't know who he is, get ready. Jandek is a
reclusive character/person/musician/myth from Houston, Texas, who has been
releasing albums under a secretive label for the past 25 years.

The address for Corwood Industries, in fact, is nothing more than a P.O.
Box. The bizarre thing is that no one knows who this guy is or if he's even
still alive. You'd think that someone in the process of releasing material
and cutting the album would know something. But regardless of his
whereabouts or validity, people can't help but be completely enthralled by
him.

Now, regardless of what anyone tries to tell you, listening to one Jandek
album is basically the same thing as hearing them all. Even if the
instrument of choice changes, the basic concept is still the same. To date,
Jandek has recorded about 35 albums, and only the true Jandek completists
tend to buy all of his material. His album covers usually consist of
pictures of himself (if it's really even him) or pictures of furniture,
homes, instruments, etc. They've actually become one of the more interesting
parts of his releases, because the music certainly is not of the highest
caliber.

The main instrument played by Jandek in the past has been the acoustic
guitar, but on Shadow of Leaves he opts for the bass again. And in normal
form, the bass is detuned to the point of absurdity. There's absolutely
nothing accessible about Jandek's music, only the haunting realization that
this is a man who has a passion for messing with people's minds. The funny
thing is that even though most people will give his music about two minutes
before they leave him behind for good, it's been said that there are people
who can actually sit around and listen to his music for days on end. I'm not
one of them.

Do yourself a favor and find one of his albums for yourself. Actually, now
that I think of it, this might be a good time for me to throw out the
"download it" card so you can at least get an idea of what you'll be up
against. It's gruesome. But if you find yourself becoming intrigued like the
rest of us, be sure to keep an eye out for the Jandek documentary that is
coming out soon. It should be an interesting documentation of the most
underground musician in history.

1. Shadow of Leaves
2. Find Me Again
3. I Give You Me