[Jandek] RE:RE: (Jandek) Jandek live recordings

Dlugosz, John J John.Dlugosz at trincoll.edu
Mon Oct 31 06:42:42 PST 2005

How do you know that it is officially being released for $8. And...I'll
sound like a jerk, but how does this jeopardize future Jandek live
shows? Will we all be punished because someone broke the rules?

I tend to agree that taping and sharing a show when it was specifically
requested that this not be done is somewhat shitty-but once an artist
performs live and throws their work into the air, they take the risk
that it may be captured and perhaps reproduced. They give up a certain
degree of control when they create in real time and share it with an
audience. As far as I know, no one is charging for this stuff. I've got
the boot/web version of the first show, and the official disc. Corwood
maxed out what they will make off me on that release. I'm guessing that
anyone interested enough in Jandek to seek out the boots will likely
purchase the official versions when they are released. If so, other than
perhaps making the Corwood Representative sad, I'm not sure I see great
evil in this act. Really, if the sadness generated by boots jeopardizes
future live performances, then we're dealing with a very fragile
personality. "You taped me when I asked you not to. No more live shows!
Ever!"

Am I doing a bad thing if I download a boot and then buy the official
release? Help me out with this...Is recording a performance without
permission always an evil act? How evil is it? Is it ever okay? Are my
Grateful Dead boots now a bad thing given that the Dick's Picks versions
are "officially" available?

And...Personally, I'm hoping for mp3 quality. We're talking about Jandek
boots here! I have no interest in the "lossless or nothing"
ideology-reminds me of the old hi-fi, quad speaker, "virgin vinyl", 120
gram, gold disc folks. I'm listening to stuff on cheesy iPod speakers,
so I'll make due. Maybe the boot source is an analog cassette! And, if
it's lower quality, does that make it less evil? I'd sleep better...

john