[Jandek] Concert pics and Questions

Davidson Roberts soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 13:34:17 PDT 2005

Wow, does he look creepy. All tall and thin and pale like some ghost man. Very different from the blank-faced kid we're familiar with.

And now we have so many new questions: Will he play in his home country? If so will he have the same backup band? Will that guy who played "normal" guitar in the late 80's show up? Will John play drums?

So it seems that Jandek writes lyrics and then improvises music to fit them. This is certainly a cool method but it means he must write new material every time he plays live. So sadly my dreams of seeing "European Jewel" or "Only Lover" reproduced live will never come true. Or will they? What if an ambitous group of Jandek fans learned to play the old songs indentically to the recordings, then provided the venue and time? Would he sing them then? hmmmmm. Perhaps a few of us could find a place in New York or some such musical mecca and plan it out? I already know several Jandek songs (seven I think). The hardest thing, of course, would be getting the man's permission.

-Dave