[Jandek] When I Took That Train cover

Simon Greenwood simon.greenwood at mac.com
Tue May 17 05:08:36 PDT 2005

Hi

I was browsing the list and thought I'd take the plunge. I have half
a dozen Jandek CDs that I bought in Mystery Train in Amhurst Ma a
couple of years ago while over seeing my best friend get married. I'm
going to get the rest through Corwood but as I'm going to see him on
Sunday, may see if he is selling anything. Can't imagine he'll carry
too much around with him though.

The cover photo of 'When I Took That Train' was taken in London. The
building to the left is the Mansion House and the railings in front
are an entrance to Bank tube station. The building behind and to the
right does indeed feature another tube station entrance, but the
building itself is no longer there. The Mappin and Webb building was
a City landmark dating back to the 1870s but was demolished in 1994.
So this picture was taken at least in the early 90s. There would
appear to be Christmas trees on the Mappin and Webb building, so I'm
guessing December time. I can't quite make out the registration on
the car to the right but the first letter which denotes the year of
registration looks like a C, which was after August 1985. The van in
front is newer than that as that sort of model wasn't around until
the late 80s/early 90s. There's not much else to go on although I
think the grey building at the extreme right was new in the late 80s.

I hope I'm not repeating anyone but i haven't browsed the list
extensively. Is anyone else planning to go to Gatehead? We're still
trying to work out why he's here and who will actually come.

Simon