[Jandek] Jandek/Richard Thompson connection?

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Sat Jul 23 09:39:08 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Sharif Mansour <stampid.mouse at gmail.com>

> 3) Allah and God are one and the same, so when Jandek sings about/to
> God he is referring to the same entity.

Yes and no.  Muhommad rewrote the Old Testament as he believed God was telling it to him.  There are some pretty major changes.  The more Universalist mindset (that is kindly working its way through many religions right now) would say the two Gods are the same but more extreme sects of any group (and I live in Arkansas - you want Christian extremists you can have 'em!) would say they were VASTLY different and the similarities are a deception to make you THINK they're the same.

And hey - am I the only one noticing a similarity between the cover and title of Jandek's "Raining Down Diamonds" with Richard and Linda Thompson's "Pour Down Like Silver?"  Here's a link to the cover of the latter:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000063R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Could Jandek be a Sufi?  I stayed once in a Sufi monastery in New Mexico and found them to be VERY forward thinking.  They also view music as a pathway to God.  Admittedly, they wear turbans and not caps but the connection seems so close.  Listening to "Spiritual Song" again I'm lead to think that if Jandek is a Muslim he is probably a Sufi.