[Jandek] Re: jandek the pagan

chthonic streams chthonic at chthonicstreams.com
Sat Feb 12 11:46:54 PST 2005

spoon-unit <spoon-unit at blueyonder.co.uk> pointed out:

>If one really goes as far as trying to guess things about Jandek
>from his lyrics, one would also presumably be excused from coming to
>the conclusion that he is a pagan, worshipping the great god Pan
>with the lines "Now this one from the morning came to me / The piper
>in his high cloud sang to me" since Pan is described as the Piper at
>the Gates of Dawn in Kenneth Grahame's The Wind In The Willows.

right, or the *extremely* pagan ritual-sounding "governor rhodes" (on
'telegraph melts') he does, intoning, "We are here in earth, in life,
in sky, in magic..."  with nancy in the background singing in
response.  total earth-religion song.  but i don't think this makes
him definitely pagan any more than the other "clues" make him a
christian.

d.