[Jandek] The Door Behind

chthonic streams chthonic at chthonicstreams.com
Sat Feb 5 17:57:11 PST 2005

>Hey all,
>
>Just got "The Door Behind" as well as "A Kingdom He
>Likes". I listened to "Kingdom" first. Some of it is
>quite funny, I felt. "The Door Behind" on the other
>hand is harrowing.  The guitar.  His voice.  So
>broken, so in need of comfort.  It has haunted me for
>days.  I know Jandek is not everyone's cup-o-meat but
>this record alone shows how his vision breaks down
>conventional song writing, especially the blues.  Most
>of the lyrics are quite positive.  The execution,
>though, is devistating in it's intimacy.  Anyone else
>heard "Door", any thoughts?

i haven't heard it, but i'm wondering if you have anything else by
jandek.  i finally ordered 3 early CDs from the man himself, all
other outlets let me down.  what i'm looking for is sort of what you
describe: the high, spooky, fragile voice, maybe with a bit of echo,
and the acoustic plunking away.  i can't get "they told me about you"
out of my head.

i did pick up "somebody  in the snow" as planned, because of "om",
but of course that song is totally unique.  i sort of liked one of
the songs with drums, it was very ritualistic.

the other two i got were one of the cover pairs, "graven image" and
"glad to get away".  these only had a few moments like what i was
after.

i ordered "ready for the house", "chair beside a window", and "blue
corpse".  i'm thinking i may eventually get all of the first 7, but
i'm not made of money.  a lot fo people seem to like "six and six",
but i always balk when i read the word "blues" mentioned in a review.
i really don't like the bluesier playing at all.  i think i prefer
jandek when he seems to be playing alone, although  some of the nancy
songs are nice too, and ditto for the drums (if it really is "john"
playing them).

d.