[Jandek] "I Threw You Away" and "The Gone Wait" scarier than spoken word albums?

Matthew Gordon mlgordon75 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 15:27:10 PST 2005

 I don't know why so many seem to find the  acapella albums so creepy.  I guess they are, in a way, but I find  "Blues Turned Black" from I Threw You Away and  "I Was a King" from The Gone Wait to be worlds scarier than anything on  the spoken word albums.  They are really despondent.  The  lack of normal tonality confuses the consciousness with its alienating  nature, almost like gouging the flesh, and the dark lyrics are like  salt or old 40-wieght oil being rubbed into the wounds.  Very  effective..