[Jandek] Re: Purity

djobe djobe at uark.edu
Sat Oct 23 10:47:02 PDT 2004

>===== Original Message From Dave Parent <dave9199 at lycos.com> =====
>I see what your saying, but do you think that if others albums were recorded,
at least, before House came out that those also
>would count as "pure"?

For sure, at least in the musical sense. And even if friends were aware of
them (and some of them must have been, since other people play on some of
them) I doubt they would have imagined these recordings as released vinyl.

 And we don't know if he played songs before House was out to friends or not.
Maybe there is an "outside
>influence" on House if anyone heard the songs and made any kind of comment on
them that Jandek used. But we'll never know
>that.

True. You know to somewhat contradict what I said before, "Nancy" or "Eddie"
or "John" may have helped him reach the decision to release 'Ready for the
House' in the first place. This is an odd thought.  Maybe there was a small
set of people who knew of these to begin with and enjoyed them, and the
thought arose that maybe other people would enjoy them, so he released the
first album, got no response, and gave up.  Until...

The impression I got from Chusid was he had recorded but before Chusid's
interest, he wasn't confident enough to release
>them.

...and that's what I was saying in the first place, that in realizing that
other people WERE open to the music then it WAS worth releasing.  Excited, he
released a slew of them very quickly. He also was open to contact at this
point, but rapidly that fades away.  Paranoia?  A desire to retain purity by
not mixing his life with his music? Maybe he makes a girlfriend out of a fan
who becomes the second female voice and then leaves him, causing him to swear
off personal contact forever? Who knows. He retreats like Pynchon into the
abyss, tossing out vinyl and cds at whim and still consenting to the
occasional cryptic message.  Then after a period of what I would estimate is
about ten years (since the last major "outside" contact) there's the Vine
interview.  Then the consent toward the documentary.  Now the live show.

So is the live show the next release?  Seems that it should be, and for the
first time ever Corwood has some pressure on it to release a particular
recording (though I have the feeling everyone who wants an audio copy will
have one before the audio release, not that this will halt me from getting the
'official' version anyhow, cause I always do).  So most of the pressure will
be on the DVD, and that's also new ground.  Or he may just have a new studio
album called "the Beginning of the End of it All in the New Town that I Had to
Get Away to" coming out next week.

Danen

>>I don't think Seth is implying that Jandek's first album was "pure"
>>because of when it was recorded, but rather because of its potential
audience
>>(and please Seth correct me if I'm wrong about this).  When that first album
>>was released, it truly was into a vacuum - nobody knew who he was, or what
>>expect.  When 'Six and Six' came out there was an audience (however small)
and
>>Chusid was getting the gospel out to the six or seven people ready to hear
it.
>>With each album sales increased (I assume) and a few fanzines, Spin and
Option
>>responded with pieces. Although the original batch of records may have all
come
>>from seventies era sessions, Jandek had to feel confident that somebody out
>>there was listening.
>>This is how I understand Chusid's relationship to be important.  Without his
>>boost, our "Representative" may not have felt courageous enough to
>>drop the money on another thousand copies he wasn't gonna "move." Now
>>that he knew there was somebody, he could press on.  I believe this is what
has
>>kept him going all this time, and that the reason he felt so "alive"
>>may have something to do with the anonymous response of much of the crowd.
>>We've heard the sides of those in the know, or who came into the know, of
what
>>they were seeing. What about the "90% of the crowd" (to quote Gavin)
>>who had no idea what was going on?  I think that's what boosted him - the
idea
>>that people could get into what he was doing with no expectations attached.
How