[Jandek] Pittsburgh: Open Mic Jandek Cover Night 11/5/04

Maurice Rickard maurice at mac.com
Sun Oct 3 19:44:44 PDT 2004

I've secured the same room (Forbes & Meyran Kiva Han) for the second
annual Open Mic Jandek Cover Night, in honor of 11/5, Jandek Day.
Last year, our list's own John Eastridge turned in some
heartbreakingly perfect covers of _Later On_-era Janky, while
Unfinished Symphonies did a gorgeously twisted "Message to the Clerk"
and "Time and Space," and accordionist/performance artist
extraordinaire Steve Pellegrino did an accordion-flavored cover of
"Harmonica."  Your humble correspondent supplied a ukulele cover of
"Only Lover" and a less-successful indie-rock "When the Telephone
Melts."  Another list member and a few other stalwarts filled out the
audience for what was a very, very special night.  Our numbers were
few, but they were all the right people.

So what's on the plate for this year?  You tell me.  If you're at all
convenient to Pittsburgh, drop me a line.  I'll be making an effort
to publicize this, but the general rule is that anyone can show up
and play...as long as it's a Jandek cover.  (I'm inclined toward a
reprise of "Only Lover" and a cover of "Niagara Blues."  Unfinished
Symphonies has since adopted "Message to the Clerk" as a kind of
personal existential anthem, so I'd think he'd do that.  But with so
many songs to choose from, the field's wide open.)

-M
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/