[Jandek] DVD

stephe dk weaseldip at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 09:32:57 PST 2004

If I could ask Smith/ Jandek any question I think it would be something
regarding his intention. I recently got into this discussion with someone as
a result of the live performance, which was a bit much for my brain to
process... I have always considered Jandek 'an artist,' and a brilliant and
incredible one at that (the uniformity of the releases, the complete and
total disregard for commerical success and/or marketing for the most part,
and the physical beauty of the original vinyl releases), whereas my friend
considers him much more of a lone nut/crazy like Syd Barrett or something
(but obviously with more mental control). I would like to know if he had
really had this vision, "I'm going to perpetrate this mythos on the world,
where I expose someone's deep innards as art over a LONG period of time," or
if, you know, he was just OUT THERE and thought maybe he was doing something
fairly unordinary and conventional, and was just too looney to not realize
how truely bizarre it was.

Maybe not knowing the answer is one of the things that makes Jandek
powerful...

I haven't seen the film yet, I missed it when it screened here, and I don't
own a DVD player, so I will have to wait, but as that's been discussed at
length in this group, I would like to know other people's thoughts on the
live performance... I downloaded it, and was quite shocked... Is this real?
Is Jandek really playing live? What does that mean, if it is real? Is it
really him? Is Jandek one guy, or many? Will he play other shows? What was
the motivation to do this? Is he an avant-guarde artiste now; will he
collaborate with, uh, thurston moore on a lathe-cut limited-edition 7"? etc.

stephe dk