[Jandek] jandek and emily dickinson

Bryan Grabigel brg30 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 15:55:40 PDT 2004

 Full Disclosure:
I work at the Jones Library in Amherst, MA . We have an extensive collection of Dickinson's manuscripts. If I played Jandek for the curator she'd think I was insane. And no, I'm not going to look at the guestbook to see if we were visited by a Sterling Smith from Houston, TX  lol...
 --- X95841 at aol.com wrote:
> has anybody else ever mentioned a jandek/emily
> dickinson connection? It just
> struck me while i was internet-talking to a friend,
> telling her how the music
> of devendra banhart would make her die a dickinson
> type death, like your head
> exploding and all, and i suddenly started
> brainstorming on connections between
> dickinson and jandek. You've got the assumed
> reclusiveness, the jagged,
> unpolished, idiosynchratic (i'm too lazy and rushed
> to do spell check here),
> self-referential poetry, windows and vague ex- or
> unrequited loves. Even--if you
> care to think of it this way-- Dickinson's poetry
> was formally "out of tune" like
> jandek's guitar. I'm sorry if this seems rushed, but
> i'll probably be
> thinking about it all night and come up with
> someting a little more cohesive by
> tomorrow. I'm still interested to see initial
> mainstream rock bands now.
>
> --james--

Be seeing you,
Bry
brg30 at yahoo.com

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
http://mail.yahoo.com