[Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, Vol 21, Issue 1

djobe djobe at uark.edu
Wed Jan 21 11:25:02 PST 2004

Hi all,

been a long time - good to be back on the list.

Anyhow, I just wanted to state that Jandek has never said you COULDN'T
find him - as is the case with legendary recluse Thomas Pynchon, of
whom we don't have so much as a PHOTO after 1962 and who lives in a
travel trailer so you never know where he is.  Rather, with Jandek it's that
he doesn't WANT to be found.  Leave the man alone.  Don't call him and
ask personal questions.  Respect his privacy, please.  In return, we get
the music.  I don't think it's a game.  If you want to find Sterling Smith,
hop
in your car, drive to Houston, and get what you've got coming. I have no
qualms about writing to Corwood with specific questions and as long as
they are the RIGHT questions, a Corwood representative (let's be honest:
Sterling Smith) will answer them.  If your order is wrong, you can call him
and he'll call back and help out.  This is just a guy who wants to keep his
music untouched by commodity: no interviews, live shows, publicity, etc.
He puts it out, you get what you pay for.

I too hope things will continue on after he dies, if there's music left to be
released.  I have the feeling that there is.

I also want to state my opinion that I believe wholeheartedly that Jandek's
most recent music is of newer vintage, probably in the last few years. New
Town and the first side of the Beginning seemed to be the end of one
stage, and I believe the accapella albums were like a bridge to the new
stuff, which reflect a maturity I don't believe the Blue Corpse or even Got to
Get Away era Jandek had.  I think we're getting things somewhat in order,
as there is a biographical run to the stuff when I listen to it straight
through. Again, this is the mystique, but it is also the creation of the
Jandek character, a fictional creation of everyone who listens to these
strange little albums...

glad to be back,

Danen

<indiejanglefunkterrorist at yahoo.co.uk> =====