[Jandek] jandek on netflix

brendan stewart brendankifostewart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:10:18 PDT 2010

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#109

According to U.S. copyright law, they don't need permission from any
rightsholder to sell, or rent, any movie or soundrecording, as long as
the copy (and any copy) was purchased legally.

Money was probably exchanged, and I'm laughing in my head picturing
some high-level Netflix guy writing out an order form and sending it
to the P.O. box.

But yea, to answer your question, it's legal for them to rent them as
long as they bought each copy they are renting, and they don't need
his approval, or even for him to be aware that they are being rented.
I also don't think they are entitled to pay him anything unless there
is an agreement between them pertaining to such.