[Jandek] Torrent/file sharing Jandek music

Danen Jobe danen1970 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 07:31:34 PST 2010

This will sound snarky, but it's really not - I swear to God it's all about
the chicks. the conflict, see, is that he doesn't get any, few to no
"groupies" (in the Pamela DesBarres sense) backstage at any show I've seen.
But there he is, playing his axe, howling at the world. This lack makes his
music even more intense, and the next thing you know we've got "Worthless
Recluse" (still, in my opinion, the funniest Jandek album ever. Really!).

I think it might be feasible to imagine somebody uploading a "Jandek comp"
sort of thing for people to try out, but then again Jandek isn't supposed to
be easy. That sounds pretentious, but it's not - Corwood has intentionally,
I think, kept from doing this sort of thing. He also has never authorized a
downloader (that may happen yet, but what would a Corwood album be without
the picture and the Garamond font on the side?), so it's safe to say he
would be opposed to a torrent, especially in the "complete works" sense. If
Jandek is for free, he'll give it away.

As for the $ game...as someone who curated a show (in Denver) and watched
few small pressings of CDs go out of print over the years (the first album
being an obvious exception), I can tell you that this music is a gift from a
very generous creator. Appreciate it. I promote constantly, and I have
uploaded a SONG or two to a blog as example (can't imagine he'd care), but
would never do an album. I respect this too much. My two cents.

Danen