[Jandek] Jandek in Brooklyn

Jeff Gomez jeff.gomez at me.com
Mon Sep 7 06:50:56 PDT 2009

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: rep_in_park_slope.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 123566 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

Saw the show last night in Brooklyn, and thought I’d send a few notes.
First of all, it was a pretty nice day on Sunday here in New York;
started out sunny and gorgeous, but became more cloudy and cool as
they day progressed. My wife and I headed to Brooklyn a bit early so
we could get dinner before the show. Issue Project Room is situated in
an industrial wasteland between Cobble Hill and Park Slope. We parked
more near Park Slope, and were walking down Fifth Avenue when we
actually passed by The Representative on the sidewalk. I noticed him
at the last second, and was pretty freaked out. He didn’t see my
reaction, but one of the people he was with did, and sort of grinned.
After he passed us, and walked a few more feet, I got out my camera
and took a picture (attached). He was wearing the usual black outfit,
except with a purple shirt. He was also clutching a black leather
valise. He seemed to be in animated conversation with his hosts; they
were telling him about the neighborhood. I never really expected to
run into The Rep on the street, so this was a treat.

We later showed up at Issue Project Room at about 7:30PM. I took a
picture of the door outside, which had on it two posters for the show
(attached). I had seen on the Issue Project Room website that the
Jandek show would be played “in the courtyard.” Uh, what this meant
was that Jandek was playing, more or less, in a parking lot in the
back, with the band set up sort of on a loading dock overlooking the
parking lot. The gear was already set up and, in addition to the small
amps for the instruments, there were two decent-sized PA monitors on
stands. There were a couple dozen plastic folding chairs arrayed
around the parking lot, along with a table toward the back selling
drinks. My wife and I scored center seats with a great view of the

People started coming in and taking seats and, soon enough, The Rep
came in carrying his guitar case and the valise he’d had on the street
before. He was wearing the same clothes (along with the hat) but he’d
since changed into a black shirt. He walked to the back of the space,
spoke to someone, and then disappeared for a bit. He later reemerged,
and was standing at the back of the venue, to the left of the table
selling the drinks. He was easy to spot since he was wearing his hat
and, as the sun continued to go down, his silhouette made for a
striking profile. I kept glancing back and every time I did The Rep
was still there, sometimes chatting with people, sometimes standing
there alone. I went to get a plastic cup of wine and, as I passed by
The Rep, I could see that he was signing a copy of Six and Six for a
guy. Since The Rep was open to giving autographs, I didn’t think he’d
mind me saying hello.

The guy who got the autograph left, so I approached The Rep. This was
kind of weird since I know very well The Rep’s reputation. He was a
crazy recluse, right? But then again, he was playing a concert, and
was hardly being a diva and hiding in his dressing room. So I figured
I’d give it a shot, being as respectful as possible. I said, “I’m
really looking forward to the show.” He stared at me a bit blankly. I
was a bit taller than him, so he must be about 5’10. His skin was
pretty pale, and it looked like he had lots of freckles. I said, “I
have most of your CDs, and I sent you an old Penguin book a couple of
months ago.” At this he brightened up and said, “Oh, yeah, thanks.”
The voice was so unmistakably THAT VOICE. It was pretty cool. I then
offered my hand for a shake, and he willingly shook it. I then said
“Thanks again” and walked away. His hand felt normal; kind of soft;
more of  a stockbroker’s hand than that of a machinist (I know during
the Trubee interview in ’85 he was a machinist, but since then I think
his dayjob has been more white collar than blue).

I then went back to my seat and waited for the show to begin. The Nate
Wooley Trio opened and played two pieces; one was pretty long at about
twenty minutes; the other was shorter at about ten minutes. They were
pretty good; this guy playing the violin did this crazy thing with his
mouth, sort of beating the microphone against it while he made strange
sounds. (I hope he has a good dentist).

The Rep came out, along with the other band members, around 9:15.
There was about ten minutes of checking their instruments after which
The Rep approached the microphone and started to gently blow a
harmonica. This was the beginning of the concert, though it didn’t
seem that anyone really knew that this was the case; the music playing
between bands was still playing, though it slowly petered out as The
Rep continued to play the harmonica. The other instruments started to
then join The Rep’s harmonica. I must say, this was the most tuneful
I’ve ever heard The Rep play a harmonica; on most Jandek records the
harmonica screeches to the point where the hairs on my neck stand up,
but for this concert he was playing it really beautifully. He then
started to sing a bit; just a few lines, really, about killing a man
and having to go to Sacramento (a city in California). I couldn’t see
that he had a music stand in front of him, so I guess he was reciting
this from memory (I’ve heard that in other concerts he puts his lyrics
in front of him on a stand). This song lasted about 6-7 minutes, and
was really nice.

The Rep then strapped on a black guitar, and the band started the next
song. This song was pretty abstract and noisy; The Rep didn’t sing;
instead, everyone was doing their own thing. After about 7-8 minutes,
the power blew on stage. All at once, the sound just stopped. The Rep
just sort of grinned and, in a few minutes, power was restored. The
band started into another song, this one sort of the same as the last,
except about four minutes the power went out again. The Rep grinned
again as the organizers grabbed power strips and tried to figure out
what was going on. When they got the power up and running, the band
plowed on with more abstract noise songs; the rest of the set
consisted of these noisy jams. The Rep never again sang, or even
approached the microphone. (I recorded one of these songs and will try
to upload it to Youtube; I’ll send a link when it’s live).

The crowd clapped after each song/jam, but more than a few people left
during the show. I don’t know if this is because they didn’t know what
they were getting into, and thought it was way too noisy, or because
it was colder than anyone expected (I got pretty chilly in that
parking lot as the night went on). At about 11PM, after one of the
songs, The Rep looked at the other musicians, kind of grinned, and
took off his guitar. That meant the show was over. Everyone clapped
and started to make for the exits. On the way out I snapped two more
pics of him (attached), where you can see him all dressed in black. In
the end, it was an okay show; the music was more free-form than any of
his regular CDs; if anything, parts of it sounded like the freakout of
“The Electric End” from his LP The Beginning. I don’t know if, because
of the electricity problems, the set will be released or if it was
even recorded (I saw a small video camera on a staircase to the left,
but didn’t spot any other cameras). But most of all, it was just fun
to see The Rep in the flesh. And the fact that he was hanging around
before the show, and that I got a chance to meet him, shows that he’s
hardly the Kurtz of music. Instead, I think he’s a more-or-less normal
guy who makes not-so-normal music.

Anyway, sorry this is so long; cheers.