[Jandek] IN RESPONSE TO THE POSTING OF CORWOOD'S PRIVATE INFORMATION

Ted McCoy edwardmccoy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 11:03:57 PST 2009

I kind of agree.  The freakout on this has been a little overboard.  Yes,
Mr. Brodsky's post was kind of a dick move.  But the idea that it was the
worst invasion of Jandek/SRS/Corwood's privacy possible... hmmm, I dunno.
 The information posted was and is available to anyone and easily obtained
online, free of charge.  So like it or not, anyone on the internet has
access to personal information about you, me, and/or fairly obscure yet
well-beloved musicians from Texas.

I understand the "just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should"
argument.  I agree with it.  Respect Corwood's wishes.  But at the same
time, we are not his caretakers.  And he's clearly evolving in the way he
conducts his life and art and career.  I think the "secret identity" fetish
(if I may call it that) overshadows the music for some, or comes close.
 Clearly, a touring musician is not super-concerned with being invisible.
 Let's appreciate him first and foremost for what he does.

Again, this is not to say Corwood wanted all/any of the info Mr. Brodsky
posted to be broadcast to Mr. Brodsky's readership, whatever the size.  No
offense, but it wasn't the front page of the New York Times.  Still, it's
never a bad a idea to take a step back, breathe deep, and accept that people
are gonna do what people are gonna do.  It's the internet, and it sort of
brings out people's bad side.  I'll include myself in that sweeping
generalization.