[Jandek] White Box

Gavin gavin at arkhonia.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 06:13:05 PDT 2008

Sunday, September 07, 2008, 2:37:38 AM, you wrote:

> I was listening to "White Box Requiem" earlier and I heard at the beginning of
> Evening Sun through the head phones what sounded like a car or motorcycle take
> off... Remember during the '85 interview with John Trubee, the Rep said that there
> was a recording that had a motorcycle taking off in it? That would make "White
> Box" older than '85... I wonder if this is it? Has anyone else heard anything like that
> on any of the earlier albums?  Any thoughts or ideas? The unknown recording dates
> drive me crazy with wonder...

I always thought that this referred to the vinyl version of Nancy
Sings, where there is what sounds like a motorbike passing quite
audibly in the left channel (at 2:23, as the word 'air' decays at the
end of the line "if you reach into/the air") that is inaudible at the
same point on the CD (approx. 2:20).

Gavin