[Jandek] let's shake a hornet's nest

Mark Greenberg mark at mayfairrecordings.com
Mon Sep 1 11:06:00 PDT 2008

Well stated and I agree with most of it... but it can be applied at a
wider scale than just Jandek.  Duchampe... Harry Partch... the
Beatles.... Daniel Johnston... All unique originals that inspired
those to follow in their footsteps stylistically.  And just as there
is 99% worthless art out there, it is the 1% that makes digging thru
all the other crap worth it. So same is with those who take
inspiration of an artist and run with it.... it can certainly go
either way. I think Dylan trying to be Woody Guthry worked out just
fine.... I think Bowie trying to be Scott Walker also yielded a great
body of work. Guston from Piccaso....The Feelies from the Velvet
Underground, Nico trying to be Bob Dylan, etc, etc. I think the
artists that make it work bring something to the table and retain
self while the others just try and tread water in 'the style of'...
as a homage or just taking cover in it... which too often is not very
interesting on its own... or I guess 'interesting' in a whole other
level..

More people being exposed to Jandek is a good thing in my opinion.
That doesn't effect my listening to his work. It can be the
anesthetic to our way too thin, surface-y poop we call pop music for
some who care to listen and try to understand. For many it will be
just noise and that's ok too. It's good for people to hear noise.

-Mark Greenberg