[Jandek] Jandek In Ann Arbor

Jon Keller kelljm02 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 08:04:27 PDT 2008

Just got back from the show in Ann Arbor, and it was great! This was
my second Jandek show, the first being in Grinnell, Iowa. The
representative played another 2 hour long set that started at 8.
Jandek was playing a fretless bass, located stage left. Behind him was
James Cornish on trumpet, A Dancer/singer in the center, and Christian
Matjias on harpsichord on stage right. Jandek's first song was very
sad with the opening lyrics "I'm just a piece of trash, not even worth
a penny."  The 3 instruments really went together well. I was curious
to see how the harpsichord would sound in Jandek's music, and it
sounded really good, it turned out to be quite haunting, and yet still
beautiful. The young, female dancer stayed seated for most of the
song, then she slowed got up and slowly danced across the stage. I did
notice when he was singing his 5th or 6th song, He sung a line that
mentioned "the Telegraph Melts". I looked up the lyrics to that album,
and i'm pretty sure he didn't actually play any of those songs, but i
hadn't heard him reference any of his previous songs during a live
show before, so i thought that was interesting. I did notice a lot of
his songs did have verses and choruses to them. The one part of the
show that was depressing is that after every song, more and more
people would leave. After one song, i saw at least 30 people leave at
once. Which was sort of depressing. Anyways, overall it was a great
show. And there were 3 camera's close to the stage recording
everything, so hopefully there will be a DVD in a year or two. When
the representative played his last song and stood up to leave the
stage, he got a standing ovation, which was great. I hope he plays
around the midwest more.