[Jandek] Re: Jandek's Passing

Joe Faust boddekker at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 05:35:41 PDT 2008

> My thought in the past used to be
> 'would we ever know?'. I assumed that one day the
> recordings would just stop, but we would be no nearer the
> 'truth' than we were in 1978. After all,
> pre-Glasgow, we had no real up or down, or timeline: at the
> most extreme he could have recorded the lot in 1978 and was
> drip feeding them over the years, he could have been dead
> since 1979, he could have died the week before the last
> record.
>
> But now we know a lot more about 'the Jandek
> project' I expect that one of his collaborators or
> whoever books his gigs would let the world as a whole know.

I think we'll know, and in the end I suspect we'll end up knowing more than we wanted to know.  Most of us here respect the rep's privacy, but once he's gone there's nothing to hold back the ones who sense that a buck is to be made somehow by revealing the mystery.  I'm not saying that Albert Goldman is going to show up and write the Jandek story, but without potential of the rep withholding music, some tongues will be loosened.

As far as product - I suspect that whatever is in the pipeline on the Rep's passing will find a way to be released, followed by a wave of bootlegged live recordings that weren't in the pipe.

Call me cynical about this, but hey - I work in the advertising industry.

b.

---
Most interesting of all, a guitar store is the only place in the known universe where a guy will allow himself to shop like a woman, spending half an hour, an hour, two hours trying a dozen guitars with only the faintest possibility of actually buying something, playing a few licks, swapping a few lies, while in the background someone plays the opening bars of "Stairway to Heaven."
Tim Brookes, Guitar: An American Life
---