[Jandek] Manhattan Tuesday DVD

Lars Spurious lars.spurious at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 02:13:00 PDT 2008

Well, that's no bad thing, not giving interviews. I admire that kind of
stance. From what I've heard our man is relatively forthcoming with
curators, wonders what all the fuss is about his anonymity, etc. But as
Danen says, unless someone he's spoken to records what he says, turning it
into an 'interview', we're not going to hear anything.

I wonder whether the Rep can ever have been said to have given an interview
- the Trubee phone interview, for example, appears to be something Trubee
taped - an ordinary conversation - rather than an interview to which the Rep
agreed. And obviously enough, the Katy Vine piece was hardly an interview at
all.

As I understand it, it was in about 1986 (at some time around then) that
Corwood letters began to be written in the third person. Is that right? Does
anyone know about this? It's a fascinating move. Maintains a distance.

Meanwhile, we're left with the recordings and DVDs. But WHAT recordings and
DVDs! Here's hoping 'Duality of Self' will roll round quickly enough. The
Cell, Afternoon of Insensitivity and The Duality of Self - have there been
any other long song cycles of this sort in live concerts?

Would have love to have made the Dublin gig, but finances don't allow it.
Still, the London gig is coming up pretty soon.