[Jandek] Malachi Ritscher

Colin Frangos nadirn at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 26 09:46:45 PST 2008

Thanks for posting this.

Michael Zerang is a drummer in Chicago who used to play with Ken
Vandermark a lot (as well as being involved in a bazillion other
interesting projects) - I assume that was the person you were having
trouble identifying.

I knew Malachi, and for a while we were pretty good friends. We hadn't
been very in much contact in the 5 or so years before his death (I
moved), but I'm comfortable saying that his death is more complicated
than this story portrays it as being. As much as he hated the war, there
were a lot of other things in his life that were factors in his deciding
to commit suicide.

He wasn't a bhuddhist monk, and his motives didn't have that kind of
purity, no matter how much he might have liked to hope so. I don't think
that is a knock on him, I think it's part of who he was, and I happen to
like who he was. Reality is complex, and there's a lot that's important
to understand in anyone's motives. This is why I have an issue with
Jennifer Diaz and her championing of his death as an act of protest. Her
stated reason for this (and she's a journalism grad student) is that "if
it bleeds, it leads." Aside from the fact that this is generally
considered a negative approach to journalism (see Fox News), I think it
does a great disservice by oversimplifying. Malachi wasn't a cause. He
might well have wanted to be one (it's an appealing idea and he was very
idealistic), but I sincerely hope that he doesn't become one. His story
is far more interesting in the whole - a good sentence is more than the
exclamation point at the end.

Regardless. I think it's an important story, and worth discussing,
whatever your perspective. I would love to see a more complete picture
of Malachi emerge some day.