[Jandek] LYRICS TO THE MYTH OF BLUE ICICLES

Nate Wilson visioninapark at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 14:24:24 PST 2008

Here they are... I will be as bold as to say this is the best Jandek album EVER... very dark, very forlorn, but pretty, some of his best guitar playing too.  In the background when the music takes breaks you can hear something squeak like a bird or a chair... lots of background noise.

and long silences at the ends of tracks

here are the words... they are magnificent

“Too Course”

I’m sorry I must have appeared too course
And unrefined
I must have seemed like an animal
And a clumsy one too
But you had some endurance and so did I
The first time I saw you three years ago
I walked over to you and stood as close as I could
Without being overly obvious
You picked up on it and quickly swung my way
Your eyes said hello to me
And a whole lot of things came out of you
Don’t you think we should get to know each other
I never had time before
But now I look at time like nothing that ever stops
How did you find me?
You acted up on me long before I was conscious of you
I had decided to only respond the way I want
Too many times
Sometimes I don’t open the door
Too many times, but I look out the window
Maybe I’ll see you there
I either know too much or not enough to answer that question

(long amount of silence on the end of this track)

“Blue Icicles”

Well it’s my birthday and I’m here to stay
I’m not going back to any other year
But in the future, tomorrow’s a new place
I’ll bend the world to my birthday
And you need a new song I’ll see you today
I want to bend the world to my birthday
I’m not done yet
The best part’s to come
I’ll bend my body to my will
God give me the strength to bend to my will
And keep my eyes so I can see
It is only two ways to go
Calm or steady
But if you stay I can’t
You’ve got to take my wing
Because I’m in charge of flight
If I take more than I need
You’ve got to relinquish your spirit
And die for me and in your death we’ll travel free
But I got to live so you can die in me and we’re life and death traveling as me
You died in me and I am you, that’s how you find me
You come to me
And I’m waiting and explode in a red hot fire
But I got blue icicles to put you out
And you’re let it out dead and you fall out of life
Into me.
I am exploding come on to the spark and ride a piece of rock as it moves through the air
You must keep reason underneath it all
I live for all
You live there too
You don’t need to be a force, just conquer life
And when you die you’re born again
And here I am in front of you
There’s so much better that I could be
I could carry my strength instead of leave it behind and hide
And keep it in a private place so you can’t see me
I can’t see you
And but I’m waiting
I know you’ll come through and when you do
We’ll come through too
If you talk to me don’t keep yourself away
The way to your heart is to let you follow me
I’d like to weave a spell and include you
I think I’ve got a surprise for you
And I know that I want you here with me
Don’t know who you are
Why did you?
And granted there I was too.
Backing up your choice
Let’s go there because I got you on my mind

(once again there is a lot of silence on the tail end of this track)

“The Daze”

I fell into a deep sleep
I got lost in the daze
I fell into a deep sleep
I forgot my tears
I found some trees
And I walked through the trees
The sun came up, the sun went down
My eyes looked around
I saw this in bed like a soft flash
I didn’t feel my feet on the ground
I didn’t think about who I was
I didn’t think
I just passed through the visions
And the colors and the things
I mainly saw green and grey
And then some blue and red
The things passing by didn’t stop for me
I watched and I moved
The moments passed like a string of things of life came and it
Went off, I waited
I watched the pictures in the night
I saw the images of day
My body went through the motions at least it seemed that way
I went into a deep sleep
I found a new way to pass the day
Yes time was like ice melting in the sun.
Everything was automatic, necessity was gone
I took the ride
I stood inside
And let the wild go around
I don’t have desire I just move
And all the paniced stood still
It all had a semblence from somewhere far away
But no familiar distinction
Get him away to force a reaction
It was all one direction
I didn’t have to turn around
I thought I found some new heaven
A place without words
It was like a stream of lightening path and I walked down that road
I didn’t think of an end or where it began and there was no pressure
It was like a cloud under that bright light path walking through the trees
And all the visions and the moments
And the pictures and that special society that developed
Assemblence to the waking hours
But I didn’t hear any voices
And I didn’t have to talk
I didn’t have to laugh
I didn’t have to cry
I didn’t spend any time wondering why
I got real lost and didn’t care
There was no distinction anywhere
And there was a fine willing
I fell in love with a tree
I became like a tree
And nobody knew me
They didn’t care
The world walked amongst me
The world walked amongst me
I was that path
I was that sleep
I was that image
And now the days come and go
Turned upside down
I walk and I stand there all at the same time
I move like a breeze in and out at once
I feel into a deep sleep
I got lost in the daze

(another long ending of silence)

“There’s No Door”

Open the door and go out
Space no bottom
No top
No right no left no direct ahead
It’s all a dream all air and space
No objects to be found
You can see but you can’t touch
Move move move move
Through what you can’t call time
If you’ll open the door and go in the door disappears
There’s no door
There’s nothing you can relate to
Only movement and images
So go
Go forth and take that step and leave what you know
To what you don’t know
Can never know
Because it’s there not there
It’s an empty space with images you make or befall but want
Need and love
That nothing place you see all around you it’s reality
Your life
Your only thought
Ride your emotion into that wave
Energy propells and the void carries you because you opened the door
And walked right in
Dropped off a cliff and can’t stop falling