[Jandek] The Ruins Of Adventure Review

Darin Mitchell susseddm at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 08:34:19 PDT 2007

From: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Jandek,4185

Jandek The Ruins Of Adventure [Corwood Industries; 2007]

4/5 stars

Styles: freak-folk years and years before it became a buzz-word
Others: none

The first Jandek record I fell in love with was 1986’s Telegraph Melts. With
that album, I discovered the cliché that every album by this super-recluse
songwriter sounds the same is a somewhat lazy assessment. The stereotype of
Jandek’s unvarying style began with the albums on which he gained initial
cult reverence, such as Ready For The House and Six And Six: musty, morose,
and outright discomforting confessionals delivered in an atonal near-song,
while detuned chords splattered this basement troubadour’s creeping misery.
And while much of Jandek’s work has worked on some variation of this
disturbed valor, the psyched-out burst of Telegraph Melts, complete with
female vocals and pounding drums, recalled the most mysterious pagan
psych-punk album drugged up from some occultist’s record racks.

Although in a much more subtle and less cacophonous manner, this year’s The
Ruins Of Adventure finds Jandek continuing to shuck his audience’s
assumptions. On this album, we find Sterling Smith (as he is believed to be
known) alone with a fretless bass, and the lack of the almost-melodic
tinniness of his usual guitar makes for a more broad and confrontational
record. Ruins feels warmer in its fidelity this time around as well; the
damp, unrenovated oubliette one can picture acting as the studio for a
record like Ready For The House has been traded for comparatively more
professional pastures here. That’s not to say Ruins is any less intimate and
personal. Like all Jandek albums, there’s little ego and zero artifice. As
Jandek progresses over unrestrained figures on his bass and spouts his
sub-beat proclamations, it elicits the same mystery and dissonance that has
either endeared or aggravated those who have come across this subterranean
legend.

Perhaps like most releases in his catalog, The Ruins Of Adventure, while
uncommon on some levels, is still a very difficult album to discuss at
length. It’s a laughable understatement to call Jandek’s output prolific
(this album is number 49), and the stark minimalism and extremely despondent
disposition of his work, both musically and lyrically, is rampant through
each of his records, making much of his discography feel like compacted sets
of similarly-themed, cohesive outbursts. Opener “The Park” sets out with its
narrator’s creation of what seems a rather pleasant means of personal escape
with his own park, but the shrouded and jarring pounds of the bass coupled
with his bitter delivery, especially the lines “I’ll sit up straight and
keep my mind on you/ You came and took control/ You’ll tell me what to do,”
implicitly creates a dour and threatening aura. The familiar vindictive and
belligerent persona is unsurprisingly explored again on “Bluff Brink” (“You
create all your disabilities/ You feel good about your wasting away”), while
“Completely Yours” details an abnormal obsession for a loved one that comes
across as more destructive than compassionate (“Please don’t ignore me/ I’m
your very best friend/ I’ll be here forever/ You can count on that”).

Because of Jandek’s glaring idiosyncrasies in both his vocal delivery (an
atonal moan that seems to shift pitch without reason) and his approach to
the bass (the usual conglomeration of appalling tones which feel like
free-jazz gone misanthropic and sluggish), there’s a gut feeling of possible
madness that’s either deceptively feigned or all too real. The
next-to-nothing information on Jandek makes it nearly impossible to gauge
whether or not there’s a discomforting freak-show notion at work, but with
such an intimately perplexing persona setting itself so upfront in the
music, it’s hard not to be naturally intrigued and continually fascinated.
The Ruins Of Adventure can’t be recommended or even assessed in the same way
the majority of albums we cross in our daily lives. Like all of Jandek’s
albums, it’s a distressingly difficult, yet unequivocally unique listen, and
there’s much more logic at work than the knee-jerk detractors would have you
believe. Likewise, it’s an album that’s not necessarily an "essential"
artifact, but one in which you will indulge should you let it enter your
sphere.

1. The Park
2. Bluff Brink
3. Completely Yours
4. Mysteries Of Existence
5. The Ruins Of Adventure

Discover sweet stuff waiting for you at the Messenger Cafe.  Claim your
treat today!
http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline2