[Jandek] OT: great private press records online 4 free that jandek fans might dig

Paul Whittington burdockman at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 00:01:57 PDT 2007

Stacey you're a gem....this site looks amazing. Thanks a lot for the pointer!
paulburdockman at hotmail.comwww.myspace.com/leonthebandwww.myspace.com/stringsofsevillewww.myspace.com/burdockthebandwww.burdockweb.co.uk

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:37:49 -0500From: staceygraham at gmail.comTo: jandek at mylist.netSubject: [Jandek] OT: great private press records online 4 free that jandek fans might dig
Off topic a little, but maybe not...

I found a website http://grown-so-ugly.blogspot.com/ that features out-of-print and private press and psych/drug/folk of the type that will appeal to many Jandek fans, and the complete albums are all posted as .ZIP files for anybody to download.  I've been working my way through the loner folk recordings from the 1970s that he's been featuring and some, like the Gary Higgins album "Red Hash" are excellent.

He also posts complete .ZIP files of more current of the freak folk/new weird america/trance folk and also some more rocking freakout and foreign music for all to download, and his policy is that once something comes back in print he removes the .ZIP files.

If you're like me you've devoured books on non-mainstream artists, and I've always wished there were a source for Private Press records.  Some are being reissued nowadays, but some are just flat-out too bizarre.  This person really knows his stuff about obscure musics.  All the way from out of print Fahey/Takoma/Basho acoustic guitar discs to French psychedelic hard rock to records recorded by musical communes to downer suicidal loner folk that makes you imagine the singers were one step from the ledge to records that even LOOK like Jandek records.

http://grown-so-ugly.blogspot.com/

If this is too off-topic then feel free not to respond in this Jandek Forum, and I really don't want to turn this into a discussion of the ethics of downloading free music, but all along I've been thinking that there are many on this Jandek list who are always looking for stuff that is waaaaay out of the mainstream, so here is a good source.

Peace,stacey graham
Minneapolis  MN  USA http://thedaydreamnation.blogspot.com