[Jandek] A first album

Nate Wilson visioninapark at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:22:07 PDT 2007

I was thinking alot today about the importance of a first album (in the case of Jandek or The Units it would be "Ready For the House")  Being a musician myself I know the stress that went into putting together my first album.  Normally one would want the album to be a good representation of the message they were trying to get across. If you take that into account, it makes "Ready For the House" even more daring or honest.  If you examine the album as well, lyrically and title-wise the album seems to deteriorate, and to end the album with almost a frantic upbeat electric song like "European Jewel" (incomplete), it is just strange to me.  It almost seems like the last song negates the rest of the album.  If you were to spend time making the first 8 songs be so dreary and in one tuning and basically one approach, it would be strange to come close to musical contradiction.  However, this dichotomy obviously was intended and approved by the creator or would have never been released.  They enjoyed it, and they sent it out.

Any thoughts?