[Jandek] WESLEY WILLIS

Phil phil.salathe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 10:54:46 PST 2007

I'm pretty sure this was a joke that originated on this very list,
and made its way onto Everything2.com.  Here's the original post I
found (from http://tisue.net/jandek/mail/archive/jandek-0105.txt):

*****

Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jason Cooley <jasonx12 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: doy rehtaf
To: jandek at cs.northwestern.edu

MAN, if there is one thing that bugs the shit out of
me, it's when people put someone like Daniel Johnston
in even the vaguest, remote area as someone like
Wesley Willis...I consider Daniel (and I guess you all
do, too) to be an example of the ultimate
born-songwriter.  Classic structure, and melody, and
Plastic Ono Band-calibur (I'm going to hell) honesty.
And not to shit on WW (yeah, he's fucking hilarious),
but you know, come on.  I guess I feel the same about
Jandek and Anton.
What am I trying to say?

Here's the words to a song Wesley Willis did about
Jandek.  It's called "Jandek"

You are a strange musician.
You are a mystery to the world.
The people flock to wonder about you.
You are a good person.

Jaaannnndek
Jaaaannndek
Jaaaannndek
Jaaaaanndek

In 1988 you released an album called "Blue Corpse"
People don't know who you are.
You release an album a year.
You want to be left alone.

Jaaaaanndek
Jaaaaanndek
Jaaaaanndek
Jaaaaanndek

*****

I really can't imagine that Wesley (RIP) would have written a song
about Jandek, unless someone put him up to it or something.  Barring
that, I'm assuming that Jason was just kidding.

-- Phil