[Jandek] REISSUES and NOISSUES: thought experiment

Herb Gatti hrgatti at shore.net
Fri Mar 30 04:48:04 PDT 2007

OK, I'm just a lurker who finds Jandek's music unique and interesting.
Gotta make two points and then go back to lurk mode.

1) Anyone who equates downloading mp3s with killing a human being is
beyond misguided. Even using an "analogy" like this is absurd bs. Plenty
of sane, logical and well conceived arguements are available.

2) The bigger issue is the technology that has snuck up on the recording
industry that makes available to millions of reasonably sane people
around the world the ability to "share" what they have purchased
legitimately (or downloaded from someone else).  This is a situation
that has never existed before to this degree. Some artists embrace it,
some seek legal recourse. I'm not passing judgement here. I just want to
make the point that this brave new world of digital file sharing will
eventually be sorted out and new methods of contoling and distributing
intellectual and artistic content will be developed (are being
developed). May be next year, maybe not be for another decade. What you
do in the meantime is what you choose to do. I think thats been pretty
well beaten to death in this and past discussions. Don't we live in
fascinating times?

Herb